Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Animals !

I came across a forward which had a caption I loved 'Until you love an animal, a part of your soul lays unawakened'. How true!!

All my life, though I had friends, nothing could beat the love and affection my cousin's dog gave me... It was pure and sincere. When my cousin was around, Rover didn't even deign to look at me. When we went for walks, he always walked with my cousin, but always stopped to make sure all of us were there. Many times, when my mom and I lagged behind talking , he'd stop too, and wait for us to catch up. He's growing older and less active now. But inspite of that, never fails to give us the warm welcome he always has.

Another cousin's golder retriever was the first to help me lose my fear of dogs. He was big, stood on his paws and sniffed me all over. I felt like I was dying ... but when he finally stopped and licked my feet, it was the most amazing feeling. But him too, in my cousin's presence, wouldn't as much as honour me with a glance!


This is Rudolf. He passed away a few months ago. Though I haven't seen him in last 7 years, I know he'd have recognised me anywhere. He made a difference in all our lives.....


I've spent ages observing squirrels, ants, cats, ducks , fishes, geese .. and each time, I am amazed by what I see.. ..

I have seen the cruel side of the animal kingdom too ... have seen a male cat kill a kitten in a flash, seen a lizard strike its prey, seen two cheetahs fighting .... and have always felt the extremes of feeling in nature ... the love and the hatred.

A lot of animals are dying due to our insensitivity. I do not know how we can make a difference, but if there is someway, I think we should. Especially, save the tigers and the sparrows.

Closer home, I think the birds are in danger of dying from dehydration.
Please help them:

  • Keep bowls of water for them .... away from the ground, in a shade
  • Leave some grains of rice/daal for them
  • Do not encourage cutting of plants or leaves or flowers unless it possess some threat towards you.
  • Plant more plants

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes pets give unconditional love i miss my dog (pluto)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Pluto ...... what happ to him ?

Deepa said...

Hey I'm a dog lover too. We used to have a mongrel dog called Sheru. He was such a darling. Had a personality of his own and was the Garfield of dogs. He's no longer with us. And I'd really like to own another dog. But the apartments where I stay don't allow dogs :(

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

But it's so diff not to have one after you have lost the old one rihgt ? but even then, cannot forget the old one!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
How you doing now Deepa?
Ms ABH!

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Hey ABH!

How are you ?
Hope you haven't touched the phone yet ... am finding it tough to stick to my resolve, but I am trying hard

Anonymous said...

No, I haven't....taking it one day at a time.
Yesterday was awful as was this morning....Thank God for friends!
You hang in there Deepa and if you need to vent...I'm here.
By the way I'm from Mumbai.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Hey ABH ,

:) You too ....
Really, the right people at the right time make all the difference ... I can no longer say 'friends make all the difference' ...

but at times, i do wonder if it is worth all this resolve and everything

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it! I guess time alone will tell!

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Ms ABH :

And what if we regret later on ??!!

Srijith Unni said...

Wonderful post..! Considering the increasingly hostile environment we are creating for our animal friends, surely a message for the day.!

Sorry about Rudolf!. Have Fun, Take Care and God Bless!

With Best Regards,
Srijith.

Anonymous said...

To quote the legendary Frank Sinatra,
"Regrets I've had a few
But then again too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.
I did it my way."
:) There's always a song to fit the situation, isn't there?!

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

ABH ,

Yup, there is always a song !!