Sunday, May 02, 2010

A blog for a worthy cause


I have 40,692 visitors on my blog till date. It didn't seem to make a big difference till today.

But, today it does.

All information is given in the link:
http://www.kaufda.de/umwelt/carbon-neutral/1-tree-1-blog-how-it-works/

I must admit one of the main inspirations for writing this post was the cool "Carbon-Neutral" logo I could put up.

Anyway, moving on:
15,000 visits a month on a blog => 3.6 kg of Carbon dioxide emission

( an average website causes about 0.02g carbon dioxide emission each visit)

A tree however absorbs 5 kg of CO
2 per year. So, planting a tree results in a deficit of 1.4Kg of CO2 emissions in the atmosphere on my blog (as I can safely say that the number of visits per year on my blog will not cross 15,000 => this is again going by the count of my blog for last 4 years). A small step in helping cleaning up the environment. Afterall, in the first place, the environment got polluted because of us.

Am I getting the message across ?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got to know about carbon footprint from you . thanks

Vivek said...

In short, you are asking us not to visit your blog, aren't you?

Point noted.

indianhomemaker said...

I guess we need to start planting trees! I had no idea blogging had anything to do with carbon footprints!

indianhomemaker said...

I guess we need to start planting trees! I had no idea blogging had anything to do with carbon footprints!

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Anony :
i guess just knowng doesnt help, right ? Go ahead, make a difference ...

Vivek :
I knew a comment like this was bound to come from some 'GUY' :D :D

Point not taken!

IHM :
Well, the site is not clear on how the CO2 emission is calculated ... whether due to electricity or due to human exhalng etc etc

Vivek said...

You did? :D


On a serious note, we should be planting trees everywhere. For every step we take, we need to plant a tree alongside. That is the only way I see of repaying Mother Nature's kindness.

Sujit said...

This is interesting, never back tracked e-usage to the nature..!

Anonymous said...

you will be surprised that the tree cover in 100 ft road towards old madras road from KFC has gone for metro construction

Anonymous said...

As far as reducing oarbon foot print i am deleting unnecessary mail from my inbox & not forwarding useless mail to all mail id

Kanagu said...

Got the message deepa... A good and needed one..

Prashanti said...

I had no idea blogging had anything to do with carbon footprints.. all I know is my laptop needs multiple charging cycles ever since I started reading blogs :)

starry said...

congratulations! your blog is carbon neutral now.

Swaram said...

Oh never knew abt this. Yes, u did get the msg across :)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

2 Vivek :
true .. .especially in India, where you cant trust the govt to preserve trees

2 Sujit :
Makes you feel bad too !

2 Anony :
Way to go !!
I heard about the Old madras road :( :(

2 Kanagu :
Thank you

2 Prashanti :
Hah hah .. thats funny .. multiple charging cycles ...
btw, am not able to access your blog.

2 Starry :
All started from your blog !

2 Swaram :
:) Now you know ! Spent a lot of time reading about it ....

Shail Raghuvanshi said...

Nice blog you have out there Deepa.

Chatterbox said...

Congratulations :)
Your blog is both popular and eco-friendly :D

Keep up the good work!!

Iniyaal said...

Informative.. I had no idea that servers and digital activity causes CO2 emissions. Thanks for sharing this informaton. I guess before I join this program, I have to plant a few extra trees in my own neighbourhood to soothe my conscience.