Friday, February 07, 2014

To Raja ...

In one of my previous posts (http://deepasayz.blogspot.ca/2012/10/raja-stray-who-adopted-us.html), I put up pictures of Raja. Am so glad I did because when I went home this time, he was nowhere to be found.

One bad day, he disappeared .... No trace of him anywhere. 


Theories on his disappearance are many. My mother feels he might have been buried alive. There was a construction going on nearby. It is possible he couldn't get up in time. My neighbour feels he might have fallen in a garbage dump and died. 


A dog-sterilisation corporation van went by a day before he disappeared. After the van went, new dogs were seen in our locality. Hopefully Raja has just been displaced, and will come back to us one day. 


Life doesn't seem the same without him. Though a stray, he was our confidante. From not letting us touch him, he graduated to letting us put 'tikka' on his forehead. 


When we had to go to buy something from the shops at night, he always came with us. Even if he was not lying in front of the gate, he'd come running from somewhere. It was a kind of security having him with us.


The last time I left home after a visit, he howled his head off. He ran after the car as far as he could, and I had tears all through the journey. And this time, he's not to be seen.


Wherever he is, I hope he knew just how we loved him. He'll never know how much his disappearance has affected us. Though my mind says it is impossible, I wish he comes back.

14 comments:

Titaxy said...

i hope he's safe and happy wherever he is. my grandma used to feed a stray on a daily basis, the dog used to stay on her doorsteps day and night. and one day it went missing. v heartbreaking.

Avada Kedavra said...

Even I hope he is safe somewhere and will come back someday. It was nice of you to show him love and treat him like your own.
I usually feel so bad looking at the plight of stray dogs in our street.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Titaxy :
Very heartbreaking it is :(
Especially coz it gives you unconditional love and affection.

Avada Kedavra :
Actually, he adopted us ... The workers constructing our house brought him along when he was a pup .. And even after the house was done, he continued to treat it as his own.

Vivekanand Muthukrishnan said...

Hey Deepa,

I thought you had given up on blogging :)

Strays I believe are brought to us by Providence. I hope Raja is doing alright wherever he is!

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Vivek :
Nope .. am back :)
I can't stop writing ! And since I put in so much effort on this blog, don't feel like starting a new one.

Yup .. Inshah Allah !

Anonymous said...

I wish Raja to go back(if he is alive) to you as you have truly loved it. If he is not alive, then, I wish him to be born as a dog in USA. Man, people here treat dogs more than fellow humans. In every groceries store chains, you see one complete aisle (Yes. Complete Aisle) dedicated to gog/cat food. As such dogs have proven to be more credible compared to humans in terms of love and loyalty and affection.

I myself feel sometimes, I wish I was a dog in this country with a good owner :-)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Anony :

Ha ha ... I think even when he's reborn, I'd like to have him with me !

rudraprayaga said...

Animals return the love unconditionally.So sad!

Sujit said...

Thats sad... but hope its happy somewhere else.

Sujit said...

Thats sad... but hope its happy somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Then you take birth as an American or Indian American next life :-).

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

rudraprayaga :
yeah ...

sujit :
yes .. hope he's at peace wherever he is.

anony :
oh ! no thanks !!

Sorcerer said...

Quiet touching.
Yes, I agree on that part of unconditional love and affection.

Its better to be positive about his existence, ya know.

May be he is just taking a vacation ya know...free like a wind...exploring the horizons, chasing chicks, trying to find his true love in KFC Menu ,

He must be just fine. It's hardwired in every being to survive.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Sorcy :
Only thing is he is/was pretty old and weak too.