Monday, July 18, 2005

Post 3 today - BOOK -

whew !!! this is my 3rd post for the day .....

Had a book fair here , from where I got a copy of C Rajagopalachari's Mahabharata .. Now , this is one book I have always wanted to possess ... Had a copy when I was in school , but I lent it to somone , who never returned it ....
Anyways , am damn glad to have got this copy ....

Uncle Fred in The Springtime

By P.G. Wodehouse ---

A hell of a book.
I have never been able to finish a complete Wodehouse, but this is awesome ....

It starts with a lady breaking up her engagement as her fiance set a detective on her trial ... and her Uncle, the protagonist of the story takes matters into his own hands ..... He has to face :

  1. A cranky Duke [ the fiance's uncle ] who throws eggs at anyone singing a particular song
  2. the cranky detective whose weakness & strengths is his card playing hand
  3. His own nephew - Pongo - who is the cause of all the financial transactions in the book
  4. His friend - Lord Emmsworth - who is crazily in love with a pig.

Now, Duke in 1 wants to kidnap the pig , which causes Lord Emmsworth to call uncle Fred , who is more than glad to get away from his wife's watchful eyes ... She being off to France, he rushes off to London, which is the seeting of the novel.

Now , Pongo has his own problems as his sis's breakup causes his only source of borrowing money - his to be brother in-law Howard to refuse to lending him more cash.

Enter Howard's cousin who thinks Howard is trying to cheat him of his girl - the detective's daughter ....

CONFUSED ???? Well read the book .... It had me laughing out ... Luckily it was only my parents and sis who are by now pretty used to all this ....

12 comments:

Iconoclast said...

Hi Deepa,
I really wonder how people read those endless novels and that too in few days...I usually use to get a sleep or while sleeping as a pillow.I look upon Mahabharata not as a religious book but as a business magazine of blunders and strategies used by none other than Lord Krishna to win over Kauravas by hook or by crook.Try reading that from that point of view and let me know your comments on that.

>|' ; '| said...

lord emmsworth, eh?
i think i have read this one..
the pig is marquess of some place, right? but then again, they might have been starring in another book too.

Amit said...

Wow! 3 a day is pretty cool!! Reminds me of the time when I just started blogging writing 3 or 4 posts a day.....the fact that i had an audience of absolutely Zero was a different matter altogether... :-D

Keep it up, its fun to read your blog..

Invincible said...

the plot looks nice .. :)
reminds me of Catch 22

kickassso said...

classic wodehouse...I read that in 8th std

Adarsh A. Varghese said...

I always liked Wodehouse. He has this charming, quaint but humorous way of writing.

By the way, nice blog!

Geo said...

PGW is always enjoyable… Satire at its best…

I assume u r a mallu. In case u r not, forgive me… and in case Rajagopalachari's Mahabharata fascinates you, then why don’t you try Randaamoozham by MT. It’s a gem of a book. Mahabharata from a different perspective.

kickassso said...

I feel like singin...
......bout the bonny bonny banks of loch lomond............
.........hope one doesent end up with egg on ones face I say!

Invincible said...

catch22 is hilarious .. kind of bitter humor n satirical stuff .. but try it, u wud luv it..

Iconoclast said...

Deepa,
Honestly speaking I am not into those soaps...but yes it potrays various dimensions of each of the charaters....no doubt about that.
Regarding Hidimbi...I don't remember much...but definitely read about it :)....my area of interest is mainly just before the war starts...

Cheers
Iconoclast

>|' ; '| said...

btw i remembered tht the book by PGW i read with the pig in it was 'pigs have wings'

and i got a copy of the FH by Rand and am reading it at break neck pace. ne way i reached the part where pete keating won the most beautiful building competition. i am not into architecture, but damn, now i am a suckah for archi...

Iconoclast said...

hey..... to you too :)